Saturday, June 3, 2017

New Season, New "Firsts"

With Memorial Day in the rear-view mirror, it's officially summer!

Much time has passed since my last post. I wish I could say that my newest manuscript was polished up and ready to go, but it's not. With PJ's health declining, it was impossible for me to get my head and heart wrapped around a new story. My focus was on caring for PJ, not writing.

Sadly, we gave our beautiful PJ her fuzzy, heavenly wings on May 5. Many of you have experienced losing a pet and understand the heartache it brings. This was my first time. It was and still is excruciatingly painful. I didn't know it was possible to cry for five hours straight without my head and sinuses exploding. Thank goodness for the husband who stood quietly by with a box of Kleenex.

Getting out of bed the next morning meant facing something I didn't know how to deal with: PJ's fuzzy face would not be there to greet me. I cried some more. From that point on, everything was a "first:" The first time there were no food or water bowls to wash and/or fill. The first time there was no litter box to clean. The first time PJ wasn't there to help me change the sheets, watch over me when I was sick or recuperating from surgery, etc.

Yes, she really did help change the sheets from the time she was a baby. Hearing the rustle of clean sheets, she'd run into the bedroom. For the last several years, arthritis prevented her from jumping up onto the bed, but that didn't stop her. She had a job to do! Patiently, she would wait for me to lift her up onto the bed. She'd spot a wrinkle and flatten it with her paw. Satisfied, her tail would swing slowly back and forth. Her head would cock in my direction, anticipating the praise of an enthusiastic "Good Girl!"

Then, it was time for me to be patient. Before moving on to the pillow cases, I had to lay down and pet her. She'd purr loud and long, while savoring the satisfaction of having accomplished yet another Mom-pleasing task. She loved to please and thrived on receiving attention. The girl was a performer and loved to entertain. And, oh, what a sense of humor! I still feel her presence, her soul. And I'm finding little "gifts" from her and things that say "Here I am!," which I'll share in another post.

"To every thing there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven. . . A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance."  PJ made 17 years of seasons an absolute delight. I just never wanted them to end.

Will I get another kitty? Maybe. Will I proceed with the next story? Possibly. All I really know is that there was only one PJ. Her personality is irreplaceable. I understand that the season to dance will return, even if I'm not feeling it today. God trusted me to love and care for the very best pet in the world. For that I am forever grateful!

Jump into summer and love your pets with everything you've got!





No comments:

Post a Comment